Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chicago Chicken Wing Crisis


Those of you that know me are well aware of my fond affliction for chicken wings. Of course, they have to be to my liking. Any ole wing doused in hot sauce and tossed on a plate will not suffice. At a minimum, I expect the wings to be extra crispy and without breading. Hot sauce is fine but my favorite are wings coated with seasoned salt. I then dip the wings in Frank's Red Hot to control the amount of kick. That said, extra crispy and wet hot wings are fine and delicious. Well, the food Mecca that is Chicago is not aware of this. I've tried wings from at least five bars and at least 4 pizza places. Some of the bar wings were OK, led by Four Shadows and Durkin’s Tavern. Yak-Zie's Bar & Grill boasts the best in Chicago. Well, their flavor and cooking were perfect but the wings were the size of a baby sparrow. The pizza joints can't even come close. Most bake the wings and when you ask for extra crispy, you get them burnt. Wings are to be fried and then if you like, tossed on the grill for a unique finish that many crave. I have thrown away two orders after trying one of these begrudged birds. Thus, I'm pretty much resigned to making them at home as:
a.) I make kickass wings (whole wings).
b.) They're cheaper, fresh and better.
c.) I'm a wing connoisseur and I'm sick of this shit.
A former colleague Al suggested Toon’s here in Chitown and at first look, their menu says "jumbo chicken wings." I'll put them to the test. Until later, Let's Go Pens! Let's Go Pens! Let's Go Pens!

No comments: