Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Yikes! I Haven't Even Moved in Yet



So I'm driving home from work Tuesday night and I see a massive smoke cloud and a few helicopters flying over top. As I get closer, I realize the fires are very close to my apartment.

But, they're even closer to my new town home. I took a ride to the new place and a road less than 1/4 of a mile away was blocked off. I'd say the raging Florida wildfires were less than 1.5 miles away. Now that is scary.

Good thing though, they were contained. Here's some more info from my good friends at WFTV.com (sister station of my former employer WSOC-TV).

Firefighters in New Smyrna Beach were keeping a close eye, Wednesday, on a fire that crept dangerously close to some homes. The fire burned about 50 acres just southwest of the intersection of Turnbull Bay Road and Martins Dairy Road near the Sugar Mill Country Club, Tuesday night.

Firefighters said they had the fire under control, but they were keeping close watch on the hot spots, because they were burning close to homes and because neighbors know what could happen if the fires reignite.


To read more, click here.

No comments: