Sunday, April 03, 2011

Team Nationwide for Harry Moving Up...Slowly



I took over a fantasy NASCAR team when one of my best friends, Harry Stiff Jr., passed away on March 17. Harry was a very astute racing fan and his team meant a lot to him so I have taken it upon myself to keep his legacy going.

Last week at Fontana, Team Nationwide for Harry had an impressive week moving up big time in GFR Racing.

I finished 2nd and moved Harry from 20th to 12th place overall.

I was excited and looked forward to this week's entry at the famed Martinsville short track. Well, this sport is tough and here's who I took and how they fared:

11 Denny Hamlin -- 12th (led 88 laps).
14 Tony Stewart -- had trouble all day and finished 34th and off the track.
33 Clint Bowyer -- Kicked ass early and finished 9th (led 91 laps).
48 Jimmie Johnson -- Another early charger who ended up finishing 11th (led 65 laps).
71 Hermie Sadler -- 'The Herminator' and a Harry favorite, this $4k driver far exceeded expectations and had a solid 28th place finish.

So to recap, that's finishes of 9, 11, 12, 28 and 34. The Stewart collapse will prevent Team Nationwide for Harry from improving and making up ground.

Still assessing the new scoring rules but this week proved disappointing. Team NFH finished 21st and dropped to 18th overall in the standings. We're still up two spots from where we started but not anywhere near where I want to be.

Harry once told me this phrase when I used the word if. Well, "If your uncle had tits, he'd be your aunt."

So, the KK 'if' scenario for the week was the fact that I wrestled with taking the no. 18 of Kyle Busch but elected to take Stewart. Busch finished 3rd.

No comments: