Friday, March 18, 2011

Farewell to My Good Friend


What can you say about someone so unselfish, someone so giving and someone who is just one of the downright good guys? Lots and I plan on doing just that.

On March 17, 2011 my dear friend Harry Stiff passed away. First off, here is a guy named Harry Stiff. Thus, he's had to hear the jokes and snickers about that his entire life. How did he handle it? Like a champion and with class, dignity and great poise.

I met Harry in July of 2006 when I started at XOS. After an hour one-on-one meeting, I knew I had met a friend and XOS had a brilliant marketing mind. Almost immediately, we became lunch buddies, and anyone who knows Harry knows he likes his food. He liked it the way he liked it and was often critical when he didn't get it the way he wanted it. That made it all the more fun. As his blog can attest, the man knows quality food, how it should be presented and how it should taste. I'm so fortunate to have had the hundreds of dining occasions we had together.

As I got to know him better, we became even closer. An avid sports fan, his door was always open for a chat and he had a beer refrigerator that was often the most popular place after a hard day's work. Again, extreme unselfishness from this man, he simply wanted his friends and coworkers to have a good time. Harry is a collector of sports memorabilia much like me. I will never, ever forget the day he gave me a gift from his personal stash.

Harry attended the 2004 NFL Rookie of the Year banquet where the winner, Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger was honored. On a dozen or so tables, a silver football highlighting the event was used as a centerpiece. Harry snagged one and got Ben to sign it. One day I remarked upon noticing it that the day I got married, that would suffice as a gift. Harry immediately said, "Dude, you're the biggest damn Steelers fan I know, that's yours. Take it." After a little hesitation, I did just that. Who knows how much something like that is worth but now, it is a gift I will forever showcase and cherish. This is an example of vintage Harry Stiff. And moreover, he would have been 'all jammed up' if I had not taken it. Again, another Harry Stiff phrase that many of us have adopted as our own.

Many of you know that Harry is a huge NASCAR fan. Well, more of you should know he loved sharing the sport with his friends, often through generosity from his impressive network of contacts. I cannot tell you how many races we enjoyed in the NASCAR Fan Zone at Daytona. I can tell you this man got pit and garage passes for my Dad, brother and his girlfriend and a few friends, all of which were so appreciative, but all of which became friends of Harry's. And how could you not?

A year ago, I moved to Chicago. And who was there to help first in New Smyrna Beach, of course it was Harry. Moreover, he and I single handedly moved my apartment into my NSB condo a few years back. Again, this man is a friend who is always there, which isn't something that is easy to find. I was so excited not long after my move to Chicago when I heard Harry was coming to town for some business meetings. We were lucky to enjoy the NFL Draft again together as we had for the past three years. I can't remember exactly what happened, I believe it was a canceled flight, but his stay was extended and we watched the Penguins vs. Senators the next night in the NHL playoffs. Both nights we hit late night food spots, one of which Harry liked and one which was marginally average.

I took a vacation to Florida last September and was able to have dinner and beers with Harry and some other friends while watching a NASCAR race at the Ale House in Daytona Beach. That was the last time I will have ever seen my friend.

One thing I never took for granted was the friendship and we traded multiple e-mails, text and Twitter messages and spoke on the phone once a month. We both remarked that I was 1,200+ miles away but remained close or even closer than when I was there. Just this past Sunday Harry sent me a message telling me to 'Get After It" as he was following my check-ins at various Chicago bars. It was selection Sunday and he was so proud of his native Virginia and the many teams that qualified for the tournament this year. The last true recent Harry moment I had was a picture message he sent me on his phone. He was enjoying the festivities and scenery at Bike Week and wrote:

Bike Week at the Kick Start Saloon you cocksucker. Going down now!

No, Biker Billy is not with me.

Harry
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

And we always laughed at the above term just thinking how funny it was to hear people say it.

Needless to say, there was a picture I won't post but it was vintage Harry, just 'getting after it' and enjoying his life.

I could write a book about this man and it wouldn't do him justice. So, cherish this blessed soul and remember what he stood for (Taken from his Twitter page):

Just a guy trying to get after it and get things done. Love good food and ice cold beer.

In a nutshell, he was one of the best people I've ever met and my heart breaks thinking about this great man taken so soon from all of us. I take great comfort in knowing that God needed him and I have no doubt that Harry will be there to answer the call and he'll have a smile on his face doing it.

I will end this tribute to my friend with a heartfelt message I posted on his Facebook wall yesterday:

My heart is broken right now. I will miss you so very much and may God bless your wonderful daughter, wife, father and family. You were as good as it gets on so many levels and we can all only aspire to learn from all you've taught us. Farewell my friend, you'll never be far from our hearts.

8 comments:

Maryam Golabgir said...

I'm beyond saddened by the news of Harry's passing. This is a heartfelt blog post Kraig! Thank you so much for posting it. Harry and I used to talk briefly via FB, or email as often as we could. He was always great friend to me and I will forever remember him. my thoughts are with Julynn, and Kennedy. Rest in Peace my dear amazing friend. Thanks for being such an amazing friend Harry!

Anna Neri said...

Harry was so great to work for! I will never forget when he took his team to Daytona to experience the races as a team-building day. Or the day when he received a bonus and choose to split it up among his entire team. He presented it to each of us with a personal thank-you card. He didn't have to do it - but he did. He appreciated his fellow man, and I am so saddened to hear of his passing. May God be with his family now and always!

Unknown said...

I only got to hang with Harry a couple times, a mutual friend of David McKillips, but I loved the times we had. I wish there had been more. I was very sad to hear the news this morning. My thoughts are with his family on this sad loss.

God Bless,

Mike Easterlin

steph bratcher said...

Thanks so much for sharing your memories, Koelsch - his passing is still just a fact I don't want to accept!! I am so sad to know he is gone, but at the same time, I have so many good times with him to appreciate, too. May we all continue to remember Harry with love and respect - and continue to live the way he did - loving family, friends, football and food! :)

John Henry said...

KK, what a great post honoring our great friend. He will be dearly missed by everyone.

Burnsie said...

Kraig: Beautiful tribute. Feel like I knew Harry thanks to your words. So sorry for the loss of your friend. -- Burnsie

koelsch1@aol.com said...

On Thursday,we were shocked and deeply saddened by the passing of Harry,our wonderful friend!!We are planning an upcoming move to Florida and shall certainly miss the welcoming smile that we always received on our many visits prior.Now only delightful memories remain and he'll always be a part of our hearts.May GOD bring his family and friends peace and comfort in their knowing he is forever in His care.Love, Terry and Kathie Koelsch (Kraig's parents

Unknown said...

Kraig, I'm reading this neay two years after Harry's passing, completely unaware he had left us, and to say the least, am stunned and heartbroken. Although, I hadn't seen Harry in over 30 years since our Busch Gardens days here in VA, he left an indelible impression on me. As I sit here reading this heartfelt tribute to him,he obviously had not changed one bit. The same qualities you saw in him were the same I saw him years ago. I only knew him for a couple of years, but they were years I will never forget. The time we spent working together are some of my best memories. Thank-you for your tribute to a great man and my heart goes out to you and his family. Jon Kent