Saturday, February 22, 2014

Checking In 2014: Weight Loss, Biskit and Buccos

Kraig KoelschIt's been a while since I posted a blog so I just wanted to check in. I've been dieting hard since January 14 and I'm excited with the results. As of this past Wednesday, I'm down 30 pounds. I cannot wait to post the before and after pictures of the new and improved Kraig Koelsch.

Let's just say we won't be having anymore pictures like this one of a Sidney Crosby jersey strangling me as I stood in front of the old Igloo (Mellon Arena). Still hard to believe the old barn is no more.

The diet has gotten easier and I am very motivated as the results speak for themselves. The program has you weigh in every week which keeps you accountable and certainly keeps your eye on that scale each week. So far, so good. My initial goal is 50 pounds and I hope to get there by mid April. I realize that's probably super aggressive but hey, might as well get after it and keep the train rolling.

Once there and yes, I will get there, I will set another goal, most likely another 20 pounds or so. Then, I'll be at or near (maybe even a lil less) where I want to be. So I'm pretty encouraged.

I wanted to add a note and thank all of you for hanging in there with me since I lost Biskit with your thoughts, prayers, notes, calls, cards, e-mails, drawings, memorial donations, the list goes on...

It's truly been a major help and has gotten me through a very difficult time. It will be four months since I said goodbye on March 4 but I can honestly tell you that I'm doing OK and am happy that she is no longer in pain. Thank you so much!

I always liked this picture that my pal Fat Bradley took as Biskit and I were taking him back to the airport.
Kraig Koelsch
Now for the Buccos. What a dismal off-season for the Pirates. I can't say I didn't expect it but I truly thought they couldn't possibly just stand pat and in the process weaken a playoff team. A playoff team that was close to advancing to the NLCS.

I mean, they actually believe the BS they spout, like this:

After losing A.J. Burnett, Marlon Byrd and Justin Morneau to free agency, the Pirates signed No. 5 starter Edinson Volquez, re-signed utility infielder Clint Barmes and traded for backup catcher Chris Stewart.

“I think the additions were strong,” Owner Robert Nutting said. “I am very enthusiastic about the team we'll put on the field. Are we in a strong position to compete and excel in 2014? Absolutely. I'm never satisfied, but I'm very enthusiastic about where we are.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/5620307-74/nutting-pirates-free#ixzz2tsO0Hcfl

So let me get this straight, You lost your 1B, RF and one of your best pitchers who tossed almost 200 innings (despite being hurt), struck out 200+ batters and had a nice ERA and replaced them with one of the worst pitchers in baseball (who also led all NL starters in earned runs)? Oh yeah, and added a light-hitting backup catcher and an old, light-hitting shortstop. Those are strong additions? Don't talk to us like we're morons, Mr. Nutting. It isn't very becoming.

Kraig KoelschDon't let them fool you, they have not kept their promise of spending when the team became a winner. Easy predictions are that no matter what, the apologists will soon start writing that Francisco Liriano can't and shouldn't be re-signed. The Pirates will put out a massive PR campaign as to why Tony Sanchez is ready (but not this year) so they can move on from paying Russell Martin who has meant so much to this team and of course, they will start making excuses as to why they can't ink Pedro Alvarez to a long-term deal. They will cite Scott Boras of course but guess what, money talks. And for the Pirates, that's an easy equation to make. For the Bucs, when money talks, they walk (away), quickly. It's very frustrating but it's the same old scenario with this ownership group.

The team should still be competitive this season as there is help on the way but I am prepared for a regression. No chance they win 94 games like last year. I think 82-84 is much more realistic but I could easily see them restart the futility streak and finish under .500.

I'm not ready to make a prediction yet but I was thinking about wearing this to Bradenton. I hope you all are well and surviving the winter. Until next time, thanks for reading!

Kraig Koelsch

p.s. Not familiar with the Irate Fans movement? Our site is down but our front page article from the Post-Gazette written by my friend Chuck Finder can be found here: Irate Fans.

No comments: